Highest Opening Partnerships in the IPL
A good start can give the batting team a headstart in T20 games. A solid foundation can set up the team for a big score. In this article, we analyse the impact of the highest opening partnerships on the IPL matches.
Our list includes three entries from the current year (2020). On most occasions, mammoth opening partnerships helped batting teams to resounding victories. Let’s take a look at each of them in detail.
- 1. Jonny Bairstow and David Warner – 185 (for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore) in the IPL 2019
- 2. Gautam Gambhir and Chris Lynn – 184* (for Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Gujarat Lions) in the IPL 2017
- 3. Mayank Agarwal and KL Rahul – 183 (for Kings XI Punjab vs. Rajasthan Royals) in the IPL 2020
- 4. Shane Watson and Faf Du Plessis – 181* (for Chennai Super Kings vs. Kings XI Punjab) in the IPL 2020
- 5. Chris Gayle and Tillakaratne Dilshan – 167 (for Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Pune Warriors) in the IPL 2013
- 6. Sachin Tendulkar and Dwayne Smith – 163* (for Mumbai Indians vs. Rajasthan Royals) in the IPL 2012
- 7. Jonny Bairstow and David Warner – 160 (for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Kings XI Punjab) in the IPL 2020
- 8. Mike Hussey and Murali Vijay– 159 (for CSK vs. RCB) in the IPL 2011
- 9. Adam Gilchrist and VVS Laxman – 155* (for Deccan Chargers vs. Mumbai Indians) in the IPL 2008
- 10. Mahela Jayawardene and Virender Sehwag – 151 (for Delhi Daredevils vs. Mumbai Indians) in the IPL 2013
1. Jonny Bairstow and David Warner – 185 (for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore) in the IPL 2019
Sunrisers Hyderabad made the most of Bangalore’s decision to ask them to bat first. Their opening pair of Jonny Bairstow and David Warner amassed 185 runs, helping the team to a massive 231/2. Bairstow clobbered 114 off 56 with 12 fours and 7 sixes, while Warner smacked 100 off 55 balls with 5 fours and 5 sixes.
Sunrisers then bundled out Bangalore for just 113 to win by a commanding 118 runs. Mohammed Nabi bagged 4/11 in 4 overs and Sandeep Sharma claimed 3/19 in 3.5 overs for Hyderabad. Bairstow was declared the Player of the Match.
2. Gautam Gambhir and Chris Lynn – 184* (for Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Gujarat Lions) in the IPL 2017
KKR won the toss and opted to field. The Lions piled 183/4 aided by opener Brendon McCullum’s 35 off 24, skipper Suresh Raina’s 68 off 51 and wicket-keeper Dinesh Karthik’s 47 off 25. Kuldeep Yadav was the best bowler for KKR with 2/25 in his four overs.
KKR’s opening pair of Gautam Gambhir and Chris Lynn then smashed the target of 184 in just 14.5 overs. Gambhir cracked 76 off 48 with 12 fours and Lynn scored 93 off 41 with 6 fours and 8 sixes. Lynn was named the Player of the Match.
3. Mayank Agarwal and KL Rahul – 183 (for Kings XI Punjab vs. Rajasthan Royals) in the IPL 2020
This is a rare game in which a huge opening partnership went in vain as the team lost. Royals won the toss and elected to field. Punjab’s opening pair of KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal racked up 183 in 16.3 overs to help their side to 223/2. Rahul contributed 69 off 54, while Agarwal clobbered 106 off 50 with 10 fours and 7 sixes.
The Royals reached the target in 19.3 overs assisted by skipper Steve Smith (50 off 27), Sanju Samson (85 off 42) and Rahul Tewatia (53 off 31 with 7 sixes). Sanju Samson was declared the Player of the Match.
4. Shane Watson and Faf Du Plessis – 181* (for Chennai Super Kings vs. Kings XI Punjab) in the IPL 2020
Punjab won the toss, batted first and scored 178/4 assisted by skipper KL Rahul’s 63 off 52, Mayank Agarwal’s 26 off 19, Mandeep Singh’s 27 off 16 and ‘keeper Nicholas Pooran’s 33 off 17. Deepak Chahar was the most economical bowler for CSK with 0/17 in 3 overs.
The CSK openers then smashed the target in 17.4 overs with Shane Watson smacking 83 off 53 and Faf du Plessis 87 off 53. Watson was named the Player of the Match.
5. Chris Gayle and Tillakaratne Dilshan – 167 (for Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Pune Warriors) in the IPL 2013
Pune Warriors won the toss and opted to field. The RCB openers made full use of the opportunity to pile 167 in 13.4 overs. Chris Gayle dominated the innings with 175 off 66 balls including 13 fours and 17 sixes. Tillakaratne Dilshan provided him good support with 33 off 36 balls. RCB amassed 263/5 with AB de Villiers’s 31 off 8 balls adding to the momentum.
RCB then limited Pune to 133/9 to win by a handsome margin of 130 runs. Gayle shone with the ball too, grabbing 2/5 in 1 over. He was named the Player of the Match.
6. Sachin Tendulkar and Dwayne Smith – 163* (for Mumbai Indians vs. Rajasthan Royals) in the IPL 2012
The Royals won the toss and batted first. They reached 162/6 aided by Shane Watson (45 off 36), Stuart Binny (30 off 17) and Owais Shah (28 off 24). Dhawal Kulkarni was the best bowler for Mumbai with 3/18 in 4 overs.
The Mumbai openers Sachin Tendulkar and Dwayne Smith then guided their team to victory in 18 overs. Tendulkar contributed 58 off 51 with 6 fours, while Smith cracked 87 off 58 with 10 fours and 3 sixes. He was named the Player of the Match.
7. Jonny Bairstow and David Warner – 160 (for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Kings XI Punjab) in the IPL 2020
Sunrisers made good use of winning the toss and racked up 201/6. Jonny Bairstow and David Warner contributed the majority of the runs combining for an opening partnership of 160 in 15.1 overs. Bairstow clobbered 97 off 55 with 7 fours and 6 sixes, while Warner smashed 52 off 40 with 5 fours and 1 six. Arshdeep Singh was the most economical bowler for Punjab, giving 33 runs in his 4 overs.
Sunrisers then bundled out Punjab for just 132 to win by a massive 69 runs. Rashid Khan was their star bowler with figures of 3/12 in 4 overs. Bairstow was named the Player of the Match.
8. Mike Hussey and Murali Vijay– 159 (for CSK vs. RCB) in the IPL 2011
CSK won the toss, batted first and cracked 205/5. Their openers Mike Hussey and Murali Vijay led the way with a 159-run partnership in 14.5 overs. Hussey clobbered 63 off 45, while Vijay contributed 95 off 52 with 6 sixes.
CSK then restricted RCB to 147/8 to win easily by 58 runs. Ravichandran Ashwin was their star bowler with 3/16 in 4 overs. Vijay was declared the Player of the Match.
9. Adam Gilchrist and VVS Laxman – 155* (for Deccan Chargers vs. Mumbai Indians) in the IPL 2008
Deccan Chargers won the toss and elected to field. They restrained Mumbai to 154/7 thanks to brilliant bowling by RP Singh who returned figures of 2/15 in 4 overs. Sanjay Bangar and Shahid Afridi also bagged 2 wickets each.
Chargers then smashed the target in just 12 overs thanks to Adam Gilchrist’s 109 off 47 balls with 9 fours and 10 sixes. He was supported by skipper VVS Laxman with 37 off 26. Gilchrist was named the Man of the Match.
10. Mahela Jayawardene and Virender Sehwag – 151 (for Delhi Daredevils vs. Mumbai Indians) in the IPL 2013
Mumbai won the toss, batted first and reached 161/4 supported by Sachin Tendulkar (54 off 47) and Rohit Sharma (73 off 43). Kieron Pollard provided the finishing touches, smashing 19 off 10 in the final overs.
The Delhi openers effortlessly won the game for their side putting on 151 in 15.1 overs. Mahela Jayawardene contributed 59 off 43, while Viru Sehwag smacked 95 off 57 including 13 fours and 2 sixes. Viru was named the Player of the Match.
The 2022 edition of the Indian Premier League will, according to Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India Jay Shah, be played in India and with two additional teams in the mix. Speaking to the audience and the media at an event in Chennai, Shah tapped on the locals’ love for their […]
After the debut match for India, Venkatesh Iyer plans to take one step at a time. He was selected to play in the three-match T20I series against New Zealand. The player scored 36 runs in three matches with an average of 18.00. Moreover, he took one wicket in 3 overs in the final T20I match […]
Chennai Super Kings captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has once again expressed his desire to play his final game before hanging up his keeping gloves at what will hopefully be a packed M. A. Chidambaram Stadium. For those feeling disappointed, the former Indian captain also added that he was unsure whether that match would take place […]
When we talk about success in the IPL, the term consistency is vital, and Shikhar Dhawan has been the epitome of putting in consistent performances for his IPL franchise. Having amassed 5784 runs in 192 matches, Shikhar Dhawan is the second-highest run-scorer in the IPL, only behind Virat Kohli. However, despite these numbers and his […]
Earlier this year, Washington Sundar had sustained a finger injury during a practice match that ruled him out of the Test series versus England scheduled in July. Since then, Sundar has missed many essential and significant cricketing tournaments like the IPL and even the 2021 ICC T20 World Cup. In the last three years, the […]
It seems Royal Challengers Bangalore are already gearing up for the next season of IPL cricket, with several new changes in the team – starting with a new head coach. Sanjay Bangar has been named as the head coach for their next IPL season. He takes the responsibility of coaching RCB from Mike Hesson. Hesson, […]