ICC Suspends Ollie Robinson from all International Cricket

ICC Suspends Ollie Robinson from all International Cricket
16.06.2021,12:06 47 0

The ICC has suspended Ollie Robinson from all formats of international cricket following the controversy relating to historic tweets in 2012 and 2013 posted by the player. The ICC will conduct a disciplinary investigation into the matter before deciding on the next action.

Following his suspension, Robinson was not available for selection by England for their second Test from June 10 versus New Zealand at Edgbaston. Ollie Robinson was asked by the ECB to leave the England camp and return to county cricket in which he represents Sussex. Robinson admitted in a statement to the media that he had posted tweeted “racist and sexist” comments when in his teens. The tweets made headlines on the day Robinson made his Test debut for England versus New Zealand in the first Test at Lord’s.

Brilliant Performance in Debut Test

Robinson performed brilliantly in the game, taking 4 for 75 and 3 for 26 in New Zealand’s two knocks and scoring 42 in the first innings. His skipper, Joe Root, acknowledged that his performance had been “exceptional,” but added that his historic actions away from the field of play had been “unacceptable.” “But in regards to the stuff that’s happened off the field, it’s not acceptable within our game. We all know that. He addressed the dressing room straight away. He obviously spoke to you guys and other media outlets straight away, fronted up to it. He showed a lot of remorse from that point onwards. You can see it’s very genuine from how he’s been around the group and the team.”

Robinson’s Apology

At the end of his first day in Test cricket, Robinson apologised for his actions, “On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I would like to unreservedly apologise to anyone I have offended, my teammates and the game as a whole in what has been a day of action and awareness in combatting discrimination from our sport.”

Robinson Wants Short Break from the Game

After his suspension, Robinson said that he intended to take a “short break from the game” and would not be available to play for Sussex in their first two Vitality Blast matches. The ECB which has yet to offer a central contract to Robinson said that Sussex were free to pick the player to represent them in the Blast T20 competition.

Sussex County Weighs in

Sussex released a statement to the media which read, “After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family,” the statement said. “Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and, as such, Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision.”

The statement added, “When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where discussions with the remainder of the squad over the last week have made clear that he retains the support of all his Sussex teammates. We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times.”

Liked? Share:
0   voted
Similar news
Every Test in WTC 2021-23 Will Have Same Points Weightage
Every Test in WTC 2021-23 Will Have Same Points Weightage
Read more

The same number of points will be assigned to every Test match in the 2021 to 2023 WTC cycle, according to an announcement by the ICC. In the previous cycle, 120 points were assigned to every series. In a departure from that system, 12 points will be assigned for every win in WTC 2 with […]

Mace Parade Across Country Planned for WTC Champions NZ
Mace Parade Across Country Planned for WTC Champions NZ
Read more

The shiny mace awarded to New Zealand, the winners of the inaugural World Test Championship, will be paraded by the team, in a celebratory tour across New Zealand beginning on July 26. The mace will be ferried from Whanageri in the northern part of the country to Invercargill, a South Island city, over a seven-day […]

New Zealand Beat India to Become Inaugural World Test Champions
New Zealand Beat India to Become Inaugural World Test Champions
Read more

New Zealand became ICC World Test Champions beating India on the final day of the WTC at Southampton’s Ageas Bowl, on June 23, 2021. India were bowled out for 170 in the 2nd innings, setting New Zealand a target of 139 to win. NZ captain Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor helped the Kiwis to register […]

WTC Winners Will Receive USD 1.6 Million along with Test Championship Mace
WTC Winners Will Receive USD 1.6 Million along with Test Championship Mace
Read more

An award of USD 1.6 million along with the Test Championship Mace will be presented to the winners of the World Test Championship (WTC) final between India and New Zealand. According to an announcement by the ICC, USD 800,000 will be awarded to the losing team. In case of a tie or a no-result finish […]

Steve Smith Displaces Kane Williamson as No.1 Test Batsman
Steve Smith Displaces Kane Williamson as No.1 Test Batsman
Read more

The ICC refreshed its rankings ahead of the WTC final, allowing Steve Smith to reclaim the number one ranking among Test batsmen. Smith was last ranked the world’s number one Test batsman during the Boxing Day Test of 2020. His return to the top of the Test rankings puts Smith on the threshold of another […]

James Anderson Thought He 'Wasn't Good Enough' on His Test Debut
James Anderson Thought He ‘Wasn’t Good Enough’ on His Test Debut
Read more

Not too many players have played top-class cricket for such a long period of time as has James Anderson who broke Alastair Cook’s record of 161 Tests when he played the second Test versus New Zealand art Edgbaston recently. Having spent 18 years in Test cricket since his 2003 debut versus Zimbabwe at Lord’s, Anderson […]