Most Consecutive ODI Wins as Captain
In September 2017, when Virat Kohli led India to victory over Australia in the 3rd ODI of a series in Indore, he equalled a record set by MS Dhoni for the most consecutive ODI wins as captain. It was India’s ninth win in a row, a record that Dhoni first set in February 2009 after beating Sri Lanka in Colombo. In December 2017, Kohli went on to equal Ponting’s record (of nine) for the most consecutive ODI series wins as captain.
Who Currently Holds the Record of Most Consecutive Wins in ODI?
Virat Kohli and Dhoni are currently joint record holders for the most consecutive ODI wins as captain. In this article, we look at how Virat Kohli equalled the record and how Dhoni set the record before him.
How Virat Kohli Equalled Dhoni’s Record
1. On 6 July 2017, in the first ODI of a three-match series in Kingston, on India’s tour of the West Indies, the hosts batted first and were bowled out for 206. In reply, India chased down the moderate target with 8 wickets to spare.
2. On 20 August 2017, India played the hosts in Dambulla in the 1st match of a 5-match series on India’s tour of Sri Lanka. Batting first, Sri Lanka were bowled out for 217. India chased down the target in the 29th over with nine wickets in hand.
3. On 24 August, in the 2nd ODI against Sri Lanka in Pallekele, India batted second after the hosts had scored 236/8. The visitors scored 231/7 in 44.2 overs before rain intervened. India won the match by 3 wickets, according to the D/L method, with 16 balls remaining.
4. In the 3rd match of the series in Pallekele on 27 August, India restricted Sri Lanka to 217/9 in their first innings and chased down the target in 45.1 overs with 6 wickets in hand.
5. On 31 August, India batted first in the 4th game of the series in Colombo and scored 375/5. In reply, Sri Lanka were bowled out for 207.
6. In the last match of the series in Colombo on 3 September, India bowled out Sri Lanka for 238 before chasing down the target in the 47th over with 6 wickets to spare.
7. On 17 September, India faced the visiting Australians in the 1st match of a 5-match series in Chennai. Batting first, the hosts scored 281/7. In a rain-curtailed game, after the visitors were set a target of 164 in 21 overs, India restricted them to 137/9.
8. In the 2nd game in Kolkata on 21 September, India batted first and scored 252. In reply, Australia were bowled out for 202 in 43.1 overs.
9. In the 3rd match played in Indore on 24 September, Australia batted first and scored 293/6. India chased down the target with 5 wickets and 13 balls to spare to register Virat Kohli’s ninth consecutive ODI win as captain.
If anyone can break the record set by Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni for the most consecutive ODI wins as captain, it should be Kohli himself, as he continues to lead a dominant India squad.
Generally, Mumbai does not experience rains in either November or December. Quite unsurprisingly, the practice sessions of the India and New Zealand squads were washed out by unseasonal rains witnessed on 1 December, with two days to go before the 2nd test at Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium. With more rain expected on 2 December, the two […]
Coaches Andy Flower and Trevor Bayliss have quit their positions at their respective franchises, Punjab Kings and Sunrisers Hyderabad. The duo, both of whom have coached England in the past, have been offered positions by the newly-formed Lucknow franchise ahead of IPL 2022. Wadia Confirms Flower Departure Ness Wadia, co-owner of Punjab Kings, revealed to […]
Former South African all-rounder Lance Klusener has chosen against the renewal of his contract as Afghanistan head coach. Klusener’s tenure ends on the last day of the year after over 2 years in charge, after having taken the job following the exit of former West Indies international Phil Simmons following the 2019 ODI World Cup. […]
The Oman and UAE squads have quit the CWC League 2 trilateral ODI cricket series in Windhoek, Namibia, midway in the wake of an outbreak of Omicron in Southern Africa. At cric-life.com, we have learned that hosts Namibia were forced to call off the rest of the competition after travel restrictions were imposed by many […]
Irish youngster Ben White will be on course to have his ODI debut soon, with the leg spinner being part of the squad for his team’s USA and West Indies tours. The tour is scheduled to start in late December during the holidays, with the matches being held in Florida to keep bad weather out […]
The Dutch tour of South Africa is at risk of being abandoned midway following the imposition of stricter travel restrictions after a new Coronavirus variant has reportedly emerged in South Africa. UK Has Suspended Flights from South Africa Flights to the UK from South Africa — as well as from many other neighbouring countries — […]