The Youngest Player to Score 10,000 Runs in Test Cricket
Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar is the owner of plenty of batting records. He has played the most number of Tests and ODIs and has scored the most runs in both formats. Tendlya’s Test tally is 15,921 runs and his ODI total is 18,426 runs. He is the only batter to crack over 15,000 runs in Tests.
In 2005, he reached 10,000 Test runs at the age of 31, 10 months and 20 days. This milestone was achieved in a game against Pakistan played in Kolkata. The record lasted until 2016 when it was broken by an English opening batsman.
Who Broke Tendulkar’s Record?
The answer is Sir Alastair Cook, a former captain of England in ODIs and Tests. He achieved the feat, playing against Sri Lanka in 2016. Cook was just 31 years, five months and five days old when he reached the milestone of 10,000 Test runs. He had a good chance of going on to become the highest scorer in Tests but retired at the relatively young age of 33 in 2018. Cook captained England in 59 Test matches and scored 12,472 runs in this format. He still stars for Essex in English county cricket.
Cook reached 10,000 Test runs in his 128th game and 229th innings. He is the 12th batsman in the history of Test cricket to amass 10,000 runs. Cook said it was a huge milestone for him to complete 10,000 Test runs, looking at the list of illustrious players who had achieved this feat. In terms of innings, Tendulkar, Sangakkara and Lara were the fastest to 10,000 runs which they did in their 195th essays. Punter Ponting follows close behind with 196 knocks.
Comparison of Tendulkar’s and Cook’s Test Records
Tendulkar featured in 200 Tests and played 329 innings in which he amassed 15,921 runs at an average of 53.78 with 51 hundreds and 68 fifties. His highest Test score is 248 not out.
Cook starred in 161 Tests and played 291 innings in which he cracked 12,472 runs at an average of 45.35 with 33 centuries and 57 half-centuries. His highest Test score is 294.
Interesting Facts About Alastair Cook
- Cook cracked a century on his Test debut, smashing 104 not out against India in March 2006 in Nagpur.
- He was born on Christmas Day in 1984 in Gloucester in England.
- His ODI debut was also in 2006 against Sri Lanka in Manchester in June 2006.
- The highlight of Cook’s career was his 766 runs in 7 essays in the 2010-11 Ashes series held in Australia. His outstanding batting enabled England to win their first Ashes down under in 24 years.
- Cook’s highest Test score, 294, was made against India in 2011. The ICC named him Test Cricketer of the Year in 2011.
- Included in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List, he was anointed MBE.
- Cook became ODI Captain in 2011 and Test skipper in 2012.
- In 2012, he became the England player with the most number of Test hundreds when he clobbered his 23rd ton against India. He also became the youngest England player to reach 7,000 Test runs. In 2012, he was selected as one of Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year.
- Astutely captained England to the 2013 Champions Trophy final where they lost to India. Poor form led to his sacking from the ODI team before the 2015 World Cup.
- Led England to a 3-0 Ashes win at home in 2013 but lost the away Ashes series 0-5 which made many pundits criticise his captaincy.
- In 2015, Cook went past Graham Gooch’s mark of 8,900 runs to become the highest scorer in Tests for England.
- Led the Poms to a 3-2 surprise Ashes victory in 2015.
- In 2016, skippered the Poms to a 2-1 victory in Tests against South Africa which was then the top-ranked Test team in the world.
- In 2015, Cook smashed 1,364 Test runs at 54.56 to amass the third-highest tally among all international players.
- Finally, he was the first England batsman to reach the mark of 10,000 Test runs.
Last Test Match
Cook’s final Test match was against India at the Oval in September 2018. He scored 71 and 147 to help England to a 118-run triumph.
There have been plenty of changes in many teams of the Indian Premier League 2021 due to the unavailability of some players. Almost every team has at least one new player prepared to play the second half of the IPL 2021. Here is how the IPL squads look for the UAE leg of the 2021 […]
10 – KL Rahul A few eyebrows could be raised due to KL Rahul’s presence on this top-10 list. Some might have preferred more proven names such as MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina or even Faf du Plessis. But here is a piece of stat that justifies Rahul’s selection: of all the batsmen who have […]
Jamaica Tallawahs maintained the hopes of getting into the knockout of the CPL with a win of 22 runs against St Kitts & Nevis Patriots in the recent game played at Warner Park. Additionally, Shammah Brooks was the top scorer for the team with 43 runs. However, they were grateful to a six-laden duo cameo […]
Alex Hales will reconnect with a former coach of England, Trevor Bayliss. This link-up will come for the first time since Hales was banished from the national side during the 2019 Cup. He has secured a deal allowing him to make a return to Sydney Thunder in the BBL cricket. Alex Hales has not been […]
Sydney Thunder is putting its band together with Sam Billings re-signing for another season of the BBL. This time the player will be under new coach Trevor Bayliss who was formerly the mentor of England. In the previous season, Billings was a prominent edition at Thunder, who was prompted to sign by his former Thunder […]
Josh Philippe believes that he is batting better than ever ahead of the BBL final at the SCG on Saturday. His excellent form has earned him the title of the Player of the Tournament. However, the player wishes to develop his form into all-format. Moving into the final, Philippe is the second-biggest scorer in the […]